The City of Orem Justice Court has jurisdiction over small claims cases if the defendant (person being sued) resides in Orem City or the debt arose within the Orem City limits.

Small claims can be filed for a claim up to $11,000. The claim must be for actual damages (can’t file for treble damages).

The fee to file a small claims case is:

$60 if the claim is less than $2,000
$100 if the claim is for $2,001 – $7,500
$185 if the claim is for $7,501 – $11,000

The court provides the forms needed to file a small claims for $1 or you can obtain them online at the State Court’s website.

After the case is filed with the court, the plaintiff (person filing the claim) is responsible to serve the defendant notice of the suit and the trial date.

Click here for complete information about small claims cases and sample forms.